Earlier this month it was my mother-in-law, Miss Linda’s birthday. I decided that I would make her a cake, however she mentioned that she was trying to eat healthier.
Still what is a birthday without cake? So, I decided to make a healthy cake alternative. Which I’m call the Healthy Blueberry Peach Cake.
A Healthy Alternative
This recipe actually is a combination of two recipes in one. I had originally came across a recipe for Peach and Blueberry cake by Julia from Juliasalbum.com via Pinterset.
This cake sounded good, but I didn’t really want to make a cake from scratch and I wanted to cut down on the sugars and fats.
Sugar-Free, No Oil, No Egg Cake
After doing several searches online I found that many people are making store bought cake mixes with a few substitutions to make it more healthy.
The most popular substitution is to use a one mashed banana for every egg that the cake mix calls for. How is a banana anything like an egg? I wasn’t sure on this, but read it several times.
The next substitution I found was that ¾ cup of Greek Yogurt could be substituted for every 1 cup of oil in a cake mix. This sounded interesting.
I decided to use the two substitutions along with a Pillsbury sugar free cake mix.
- 1 box Pillsbury sugar free cake mix
- 3 mashed bananas
- ¼ cup of Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl sift the contents of the cake mix.
- Mash bananas in a separate bowl and mix in the Greek Yogurt.
- Using an electric mixer combine the banana yogurt mix into the cake mix.
- Once blended add water slowly into the mixture.
- Pour cake batter into pan and cook as directed by cake mix.
Blueberries and Peach Cake
Once I had my cake batter I wanted to top the cake as in Julia’s Peach and Blueberry cake with peaches and blueberries, using a springform pan.
However, since I made this cake at Miss Linda’s house, I couldn’t find a springform pan. As an alternative I decided to use a bundt pan and make a sort of upside down cake.
To ensure my cake would flip correctly I sprayed the heck out of the pan with cooking spray. Then I laid peach slices in the arches of the bundt pan.
The original recipe was Peach and Blueberry cake, but I over did the blueberries a bit, making the peaches turn blue after baking. Anyways, I decided my cake was more blueberry than peach and thus named it the Healthy Blueberry Peach Cake.
- 1 Cake Mix (prepare as directed or use the Healthy Cake Mix Alternative)
- 2 peaches
- ½ cup of blueberries
- Preheat your oven according to the directions on your cake mix.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed or use my healthy Cake Mix Alternative recipe.
- Slice peaches into wedges.
- Spray bundt pan with cooking spray. Place peaches at bottom of bundt pan in the arches.
- Cover bottom of bundt pan with blueberries.
- Pour cake batter over the fruit. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cake is golden.
- Let cake cool for about 2-3 minutes, then flip.
- Serve topped with powdered sugar or with a side of vanilla ice cream.
The cake came out very nice despite my fear that it was all going to stick. Not only was it pretty but really tasty too.
The cake is very moist probably from the banana and yogurt combination. Surprisingly it didn’t taste at all like bananas, instead mostly blueberries.
Miss Linda dubbed it the breakfast cake, because it wasn’t very sweet and was full of fruit she thought it would make a good breakfast dish.
While the cake was really good and I agree not very sweet, I could help but feel like a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top would have made this cake perfect. Sadly we were all out.
This sounds delicious! I used to use bananas as a binding ingredient when I was vegan – they actually make a really fantastic substitute for eggs. Great job coming up with a recipe that’s both easy to make and on the healthier side!
Thanks Jessica, it was delicious. This is the first time I subbed bananas in place of eggs. I’m happy with the results and am going to try them in pancakes next.
Ooh! Very yummy breakfast!!!
Thanks Christina, and it is mostly healthy. Though I still think it could have used some vanilla ice cream to go with it.