Perhaps it’s the coming of fall or the start of the school year, but September always makes me crave apples. I love apples, in fact, I probably have at least one apple a day. Apples are so versatile as a fruit, they can be eaten as is, juiced or cooked in a sweet or savory dish.
With apples on the brain, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite apple recipes starting with a weeknight dinner quick bake, my Apple Panini Sandwiches.
Apple Panini Sandwiches
Several years ago I was thumbing through a food magazine and stumbled upon a Kraft recipe for Apple Panin Sandwiches. I never thought of apples and meat going together but I was intrigued.
Over the years I’ve changed the recipe to make it suit both mine and my husband’s liking. It’s now one of our go-to easy weeknight meals and trust me, it’s so good.
- Slices of Turkey Ham
- 1 Large Apple, sliced
- Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 1 tablespoon Honey Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Mayo
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Warm grilling pan on medium-low heat adding olive oil to the bottom of the pan.
- Warm the turkey ham on the stove top, when gril marks appear, remove and set aside.
- Warm the apples in the grilling pan the same as the turkey ham. Remove when gril marks appear and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the mayo and honey dijon mustard.
- Lightly toast your bread. Spread your sauce on to the bread slices
- In the warmed grilling pan, place your bread , top with meat, apples and cheese. Add the top slice of bread and gril until chesse melts. Fliping sides as needed.
This is really one of my favorite meals and best of all it’s fairly healthy. If you go for lean meat, wheat bread, and light mayo, this is a pretty low-calorie dish.
Of course, I do like mine with a good helping of cheese, but I mean cheddar and apples are so good together.
This is one of my husband’s most requested meals, which is really a surprise, he usually doesn’t like any kind of sauce. Something about the honey dijon mustard and mix mayo, he says gives this sandwich a gourmet feel.
I couldn’t agree more! I love to hear in the comments below if you try your hand at making this recipe and how it turns out.
Chinese apple pears are yummy with creamy Cabot white cheddar and honeycup mustard on crusty bread grilled.Use a mayo and butter combo for grilling.It was a lunch truck tip for grilled cheese.have used Rome apples with Chinese pears thin sliced with blue cheese and cheddar with drizzled honey.Wow good
Interesting, that sounds like a recipe worth trying out.