My artist sister Zaynab, came down for the Cherry Dollface workshop a few weekend ago and spent the whole weekend with me.
A Vintage 50’s Dress
Miss Z as we all affectionately call her has a really great style sense and could wear any decade. Of course, I guess I could too if I were a stick, sigh.
Despite have lots of outfits to choose from, Miss Z asked if I could make her a vintage style dress to wear to the workshop. I was like yes!
First I had her go through my fabric stash and she found a lovely set of matching floral fabrics. I think originally the striped floral fabric was meant to be a sheet and the decorative square a pillow case. But I knew it could be an amazing vintage dress.
Vintage Simplicity 2512
Once we had the fabric it was time to find the pattern. We ended up choosing a really easy 1950’s dress pattern, vintage Simplicity 2512 that featured a gathered skirt, simple bodice, and side zip. Not only was this dress just perfect for Miss Z , it also counts as one of my #VintagePledge patterns, so bonus!
We decided to use the stripe fabric as the skirt with the print going vertical. The square block print would be used for the top of the dress.
As it turns out we were a little short on the fabric for the skirt. However, since the skirt was a gathered skirt we figured we could make do with what we had. It might not have been as full as the original pattern, but the skirt came out really nice.
This pattern was meant for teen sizes, so while Miss Z is a stick figure, she still has a bust. So, we needed to add a gusset at the side seams and add to fabric to the shoulder strap, to get the bodice to fit correctly. I really should have just graded out a larger size, but oh well.
I really am impressed with how I used the scraps to extend the straps and make a really cool detail from the fabric print.
|Date||April 29, 2017|
|Version:||Version 1 – For sister Z|
|Size:||Teen Size 10 – 30 Bust|
|Notes & Modification:||Added gusset to side seams, extended shoulder straps. Used one panel for the skirt back.|
|Recommendations:||Grade to a slightly larger bodice size.|
|Difficulty:||Easy, however, alterations make this Intermediate||Ratting:|
Miss Z loved her dress but was a bit worried that she would get cold wearing it that weekend in the rain.
So, I suggested that I make a quick shrug using McCalls 5006. I’ve made this pattern before way back for my peachy dress.
This time the pattern was a little big for Miss Z, and I ended up bringing it in an inch on all the seams including the shoulder seam.
I used some black knit fabric from my February fabric haul to make this shrug. While the pattern wasn’t actually meant for knits it still worked out perfect.
Miss Z loved her dress, the only thing we were both disappointed about was that we didn’t add pockets. Though she did end up taking some leftover scraps and made herself a matching hair scarf.
While the skirt wasn’t as full as the original pattern I think it’s much more wearable without being too unwieldy.
This isn’t the first time I’ve made clothes for someone other than myself, but it is the first time I actually had that individual there to fit the garment too.
The end result I think is a dress that fits like a glove. In fact, I think it’s the best fitting garment I’ve ever made, that goes for ones I made for myself.
Oooohhhh that is a SUPER cute design! I love how you cut every piece to reflect the different alignments of the florals.
Thanks, Kira 🙂 We loved the fabric so much we really wanted to highlight the print. The pattern we chose really helped with that.