One of my winter sewing plans was to make a winter dress. For this project, I decided to go with the Tilly & the Buttons Francoise dress and the fuchsia-colored pink ponte, which I’ve already talked about with my Pretty in Pink outfit.
Making the Francoise
Making the Francoise dress was really easy, after all, it’s Tilly & the Buttons pattern, so the instructions are amazing.
I even added a contrasting collar and cuffs, along with some vintage buttons for accent.
The dress whipped up in no time, but despite being an easy make, it wasn’t exactly the best fit.
|Notes & Modification:
|Added collar and cuffs
|Consider an FBA
Needs an FBA
After making this dress and putting it on I was very disappointed to find it just didn’t fit right. I think the real issue is that I simply should have done an FBA on this pattern, but with the raglan sleeves, I wasn’t sure how to go about that. But if I’m being honest I think I was just too lazy and couldn’t be bothered.
If I had used a stretchier fabric I might have gotten away with it, but since this ponte was very structured there was no room for error.
Needless to say despite the dress coming together nicely and looking good, it just doesn’t fit and I probably am going to gift it to one of my sisters.
I’d love to know if you’ve made the Francoise dress and what your experience was like.