Sunday was the first day of Spring which is also Norooz (Persian New Years). In celebrations of this event and since Easter was right around the corner I thought it was the prefect excuse to make a cake.
I wanted something that was light and airy, something that could be paired with fruit and something that I could make super quick and super easy.
Pineapple Lush Cake
I decided to make my Pineapple Lush Cake which I haven’t made in like 3 years or so. I’m not sure why it’s so good and super simple.
To make this cake you need a sponge cake. While I could have made this cake from scratch I wanted a quickie bake, so I opted to convert a regular box cake mix into a sponge cake. Since I wanted the cake to be sugar free I used Pillsbury Sugar-Free Yellow Cake mix as the base.
- 1 Boxed Cake Mix - I used Pillsbury® Sugar-Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 Egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks, they should expand in size.
- In a separate bowl sift boxed cake mix two or three times to get the air into the mix
- Using a mixer combine cake mix, oil, and water until well blended
- Fold in the egg whites slowly, making sure to keep the mix aerated
- Pour cake batter into a greased bundt pan or pan of your choice
- Bake cake according to the time on the box or when the cake bounces back at a touch of a finger.
Pineapple Lush Filling
Once you have a cake it’s time to make the Pineapple lush filling. It really only takes a matter of minutes to make this scrumptious cake.
- Angel food cake (premade)
- 1 can (20 oz.) Crushed Pineapple in Juice, undrained
- 1 package 4 serving JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
- 1 cup thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- Optional Berries
- Mix pineapple and dry pudding mix.
- Gently stir in COOL WHIP.
- Stack cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers and on top of cake.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Top with berries to serve.
- I used my Sponge Cake from Any Cake Box Mix recipe to make the angel food cake. I also made the cake using a bundt pan as opposed to the traditional cone shaped angel food cake pan.
So there you have a super easy and quick Pineapple Lush Cake. This is the perfect cake for spring! With Easter just around the corner you might try your hand at making this delicious treat.