Last week I shared my signature pie recipe which just so happened to be a no-bake sugar-free Key Lime Pie.
While I do love my Key Lime Pie recipe, I mean it’s so quick, easy and delicious. Still, I make it so often I thought, that maybe I could use the same recipe as a base for a totally different type of pie.
Any Okie will tell you that nothing beats a refreshing Route 44 Cherry Limeade from Sonic Drive-In on a hot summer day.
Both Sonic and Cherry Limeades have roots in Oklahoma. Plus since 2pm – 4pm is Sonic happy hour, with drinks at half price, it’s kind of the place to be to beat the heat.
It was on such a heat filled day while ordering myself a cherry limeade I thought what if it was a pie?
That’s when it hit me, what if I were to take my Key Lime Pie recipe and make a few changes to make a Cherry Limeade Pie.
- 2 3oz (4 serving) or 1 6oz (8 serving) Package(s) of Sugar-Free Cherry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Cherry Limeade or Diet Cherry Limeade
- 2 cups of softened No-Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 9 inch Graham Cracker Crust
- Mix Jello with boiling water till fully dissolved.
- Stir in the cherry limeade.
- Add ice cream, mix until all is blended.
- Pour into graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Serve with a topping of Cool Whip, a maraschino cherry and lime slice.
There are only a few differences with the Cherry Limeade pie vs the Key Lime Pie. The first is that I used cherry Jell-O instead of lime.
Second major change was that instead of using ¼ cup of lime juice I used 1 cup of Sonic Cherry Limeade. Since I was adding a full cup I reduced the boiling water from 1-3/4 cups to 1 cup.
To top off each slice of pie with cool whip topped with a maraschino cherry and lime slice.
This pie definitely has a distinct Cherry Limeade flavor, which I’m really happy with.
An alternative to using Cherry Limeade soda from Sonic, I suppose you could use any Cherry Limeade drink or drink mix.
Overall I’m happy with this pie and plan to make it again.