Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
We are already almost ¼ of the way through the year and I’m only now completed the first of my #VintagePledge projects.
The 2016 Vintage Pledge
The idea is that each participant sets their own personal goal of vintage patterns they would like to sew this year. Then after finishing each project they share photos of the project with other participants via social media and group Pinterest Board .
Along with great inspiration and fun their are occasionally some prizes awarded. I love participating in this event it’s so much fun to see everyone’s makes.
As for my first Vintage Pledge pattern of the year I choose to make Simplicity 1692 which is a reproduction pattern of a 1940’s blouse.
I was organizing my fabric stash and found a lovely jersey knit fabric with lavender and pink flowers on it. There wasn’t a lot of fabric but I was pretty sure it was enough for a shirt. I thought about making a t-shirt pattern, but as I was digging around in my pattern stash I had come across Simplicity 1692.
Since I hadn’t made a vintage pledge pattern this year yet, I thought this would be a perfect make to get the year started.
Now the original pattern calls for a cotton or lightweight linen as this is to be more of a blouse, however since I’ve actually made this pattern before when I made my one day outfit , I thought it could be easily be made with jersey.
Sewing with Knit
I’d been meaning to get some practice sewing with knit fabrics ever since I I enrolled in Craftsy.com course Sewing With Knits : 5 wardrobe essentials with Meg McElwe.
I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot of tips for sewing with knit, now I just needed to actually make something.
When making this shirt I got to finally use my walking foot which was gifted to me by my mother-in-law Miss Linda. Plus, I finally got an excuse to use a twin needle for some top-stitching.
For this project I choose to use version C of the Simplicity 1692 pattern. However since I was making it out of jersey knit I made a few changes.
First I decided to exclude the shoulder buttons since the jersey wouldn’t have enough structure for the shoulder buttons. Also, I removed the side zipper. Since this was a t-shirt I figured it would be loose enough to slip on without a zipper.
I also made my own narrow facing for the collar of the shirt, to give it a more t-shirt look.
My First T-Shirt
As for my first t-shirt make I must say I’m in love! This shirt is super comfy and cozy.
I love how it really looks like a t-shirt and feel like I put it together really well.
One of the reasons I decided to go with Simplicity 1692 was because of the kimono sleeves, which meant it was super easy to put together.
The shirt could have been sized down a bit but I like that it’s pretty loose fitting as it works great with a pair of jeans and capris.
I think my favorite thing about this make is that I was able to make a vintage pattern and turn it into a slightly more modern easy to wear garment, while still highlighting the vintage details like the tucks at the waist.
Overall I’m happy with this project and can’t wait to make more t-shirts and of course more vintage patterns.