Summer has come to an end and already the shops are filled with the flavors and scents of pumpkin and cinnamon. Though this past weekend for my birthday I thought I would like something a little more chocolaty.
My husband usually makes me a chocolate cake for my birthday, but for some reason I’d been wanting a chocolate pudding pie. I started thinking about it and thought why not a S’more Pie. After all the no-bake crusts are already gram cracker, and then we’d have the chocolate pudding pie filling all that is needed is a marshmallow frosting.
I did a search online, and though I did find some S’more Pie recipes I didn’t care for any of them. I wanted something easy like a pudding pie, basically a no bake option, but with more of a chocolate taste and not just pudding. Finally I decided to combine a couple of recipe ingredients. Essentially it’s a traditional pudding pie with the addition of melted chocolate and condensed milk.
Next I needed to find a marshmallow frosting. I did a search online and found a lot of recipes and from the pictures they looked really good, just like toasted marshmallow. However, after reading the recipes 90% of all the ones I found were just egg meringue, they didn’t even have marshmallow. So, I kind of also just winged the frosting by making a very basic buttercream frosting then adding some melted marshmallows to the mix. Although it came out okay, I think it may be just a little too sweet.
The pie filling was enough for the 9″ crust and two mini pies and since I was worried about the frosting being too sweet, I topped the mini pies with just plain marshmallows, instead of the frosting.
Before serving I toasted the marshmallows a little with a lighter, to really give it a S’more like effect.
- 1 gram cracker pie crust
- 4 oz. Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips, melted
- 1/4 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 pks Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Mix (3 oz. size)
- 2 cups milk ( I use LACTAID milk)
- 1/2 tub of Sugar Free Cool Whip
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup Powder Sugar
- 7 oz. Melted Marshmallow
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a large bowl mix condensed milk and regular milk.
- Using a wire whisk mix in the pudding.
- Once blended mix in the melted chocolate.
- Then using a spatula fold in the Cool Whip.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Let the pie chill in the refrigerator.
- Whip the butter with an electric mixer.
- Add 1 cup of the Powder sugar to the whipped butter.
- Mix in the the vanilla.
- Melt the marshmallows in a microwave bowl.
- Mix the melted marshmallows into the frosting mix.
- Add in the remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
- Remove pie from refrigerator, and top with marshmallow frosting.
- Add a few remaining whole marshmallows to the top of the pie
- If desired toast marshmallows with a candle lighter. (Be careful)