While it looks like spring weather is finally on its way it wasn’t long ago that we were hit with our routine ice storm. The temps were way below freezing and schools were even closed for a day.
On snow days such as this, I like to warm up with a cozy mug of hot chocolate. But you know me I’m always thinking how good things can be improved. So instead of just hot chocolate, why not hot chocolate cake.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cake
A few years ago, I was gifted some Salted Caramel hot chocolate from William Sonoma. The flavor was great, but just a little too salty for my taste.
So, I thought about what I could possibly do with a can of hot chocolate, and voila I came up with my Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cake recipe.
I’ve shared this recipe before, but this time I decided to share it with a full video.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dry hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 oz milk chocolate, melted
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz milk chocolate
- 2 Tbsp dry hot chocolate mix
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salted Caramel Topping
- Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Spray 10″ bundt pan liberally with baking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl (or stand mixer) cream together you butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar and beat on medium about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt milk chocolate on 50% power in 30 second increments,stirring after each. Add to butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each and then add vanilla.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in your sifted dry ingredients.
- When just mixed in, turn mixer up to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill your pan with batter and bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan and then transfer to wire rack.
- In small saucepan over low heat melt milk chocolate, 2 Tbsp dry hot chocolate mix, heavy cream and butter together until melted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour over cooled cake.
- Drizzel Salted Caramel topping on top.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows or Marshmallow Bits (again I used regular marshmallows, since I could not find the bits)
- Adaption: I used Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate for this cake, but any type of hot chocolate will work.
First off I discovered that Smuckers has a Salted Caramel topping perfect for this cake. Also if you can find the minute marshmallows, typically found with ice cream toppings, they are a much better scale for this dish.
Warm and Cozy Cake
This chocolate cake is so soft and dense it melts in your mouth. Also, every last bite is so rich in chocolate it’s amazing.
If ever I’m asked to make a chocolate cake from scratch I go for this recipe. What’s great is that you don’t even have to be a fan of the salted caramel hot chocolate. I’ve found that William Sommas milk chocolate hot chocolate works just as well. The peppermint hot chocolate would also work.
If you try your hand at making this cake I’d love to hear in the comments below how yours turned out.